Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Heeding His instruction

God's plan is perfect. It will come to fruition. For some unknown, bizarre reason, He chooses many times to work through His people. Not really so bizarre, though. God created us to have a relationship with Him. One of the ways He chooses to relate is to use us in His plan.

Think about being a parent. As your child grows, you choose to partner with them, instructing them in life's lessons. It is the joy of your parentage to have them take the instruction you have poured into their life and use it in theirs. As they act wisely and correctly, you can see that the time and relationship you have poured into them are resulting in something beautiful.

So it is with God. He is our heavenly Father. He desires to have that relationship with us, that mentoring. His plan was to create a people with whom He could dwell, instruct, inhabit. It was never His plan to be some Almighty Drill Sergeant just looking for a moment of failure so He could punish us.

Now then, what is my responsibility? Can I live my life anyway I choose and expect God to bless it? Of course not. Any good parent will discipline bad behaviour in an effort to right the path of their wayward child. Truthfully, though, the power of decision to obey is with the child. God can no more force me to submit to His instruction than a parent can force a child to listen or obey them. And that, my friend, is the most painful part.

As mentioned in my previous post, God has fantastic plans for our lives. He has a plan that will come to fruition, regardless of whether we choose to participate or not. But, He also has wonderful, marvelous plans in which He'd like us to participate. Here is where it gets interesting. We can choose to hinder the plans God has for our lives.

You probably sensed that was coming. In Jeremiah 44:16, the prophet Jeremiah has been instructed by the Lord to issue a warning to the people. After hearing the message, the scripture reads..."As for the message that you (Jeremiah) have spoken to us in the name of the Lord, we are not going to listen to you!" In Genesis 3, Adam and Eve both make the choice to listen to satan's wiles rather than God's perfect instruction. Throughout history, God's perfect plan has been detoured because His chosen people have chosen not to be His instruments. Hear me now, His plan will be accomplished. It just might be accomplished through someone other than me.

Ouch! In Esther 4:13-14, Mordecai instructs Queen Esther when she doubts her ability to be an instrument of God's plan..."Do not imagine that you in the king's palace can escape any more than all the Jews. For if you remain silent at this time, relief and deliverance will arise for the Jews from another place and you and your father's house will perish. And who knows whether you have not attained royalty for such a time as this?" (NASB)

In Jeremiah 31:36, it is written, "Suppose my orders for creation disappear from my sight," announces the Lord. "Only then will the people of Israel stop being a nation in my sight." (NIRV)

What now? Throughout scripture, we see evidence of God's perfect plan. The decision is mine. Will I choose to partner with Him, adhering to His instruction? Or will I put my big fat toe down and say, "Not me, no way!" Trust me, life is so much more beautiful when you choose to dance with the King. Allow Him to take the lead. He will take you on adventures you never dreamed possible. Will it be easy? Probably not. But, oh my friend, it WILL be worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment